Support – Empathy – Experience – Recovery
2018 Group dates – First Group January 2018 – Sold out
2018 Group Date 2 – May/June sold out
Next Group Saturday’s October 6 start date – assessing now
2019 First Group – end of January
Email Sarah@bodypositiveaustralia.com.au to go on the list!
In the RIPE group program our mission is to support and guide you through your eating disorder recovery using the best treatments currently available. Our groups have been clinically researched and evaluated three times with outstanding results.
Our unique approach is underpinned by a belief that compassion, empathy and experience are key components on the journey to recovery. We believe that every person’s recovery is different and while it is a tough road that recovery from eating disorders is possible for everyone.
RIPE Group is a 14 week specially developed treatment and support program for people with Eating Disorders.
- Is the group suitable for me?
- Who is the group unsuitable for?
- What can I expect from the group?
- I’m interested, what do I do now?
- Weight loss and dieting
General information – Recovery is Possible for Everyone
|How many participants:||6-10 people in a group.|
|Age range:||All ages are welcome (over 18).|
|Length of the program:||2 hours a week for 14 weeks (Weekly attendance is expected).|
|Cost:||$85 per session, $199 for first session (half day workshop) Medicare/Private Health rebates available|
|Location:||The Swell Centre – 6 Minona St Hawthorn|
|Dates:||Please contact us for group dates as they start regularly.|
|Times:||Groups are offered on Saturday morning.|
|Treatment approach:||A structured treatment program facilitated by a specialist counsellor and dietitian.|
|Type of therapeutic approach:||Embodiment Skills, ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy), CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), Mindfulness skills, Nutritional Counselling, Mindful Eating and Appetite awareness training. Intuitive Eating and many more.|
Is the group suitable for me?
This group is suitable if you are binge eating (with or without purge behavior)
- If you regularly binge eat, feel out of control, guilty or ashamed about bingeing
Or if you:
- If you regularly binge eat, feel out of control, guilty or ashamed about bingeing AND
- If you use measures such as vomiting, fasting, diet pills, laxatives or excessive exercise to compensate for the food you eat after binges.
Please call us to discuss your suitability if you are unsure or have any questions.
- Current sufferers of Anorexia Nervosa; and
- Those under 18.
- A relaxed environment in which you can readily share all of your problems and issues around food and eating with people experiencing similar struggles;
- Learn strategies to enhance motivation for recovery;
- Develop strategies to reduce and delay binge eating and better manage your food and eating behaviours;
- Learn to recognise the links between food, eating and emotions;
- Begin to explore self-esteem and body image, and how to enhance it using Self Compassion skills
- Identify and developing support networks to aid your recovery;
- Explore a variety of relaxation techniques and ‘self-care’
- Relapse prevention and developing plans for managing your Eating Disorder when the group finishes; and
- Experience “ACT” a new and successful treatment which helps deal with unhelpful and difficult thoughts and feelings.
- Contact us by phone, SMS or email. If we don’t answer, leave a message, we will get back to you ASAP;
- Next, a chat on the phone (all contact with RIPE is confidential) to see if the group would be right for you and answer any questions you may have; and
- Then we make an appointment for a one on one assessment before the group starts.
- This group’s primary objective is therapy, wellbeing and health, not weight loss;
- Our emphasis is on discovering your most healthy weight using positive eating strategies; and
- We do not support dieting as it exacerbates your illness and prolongs recovery.
- Fiona Sutherland, M.Sc. (Nut&Diet), M.D.A.A
Fiona is an accredited practicing dietitian who specialises in Eating Disorders and Eating Behaviour. Fiona has many years experience in a wide variety of settings from private Eating Disorders Clinics to major sporting clubs. Fiona greatest passions are discovering new places to visit and playing in the park.
- Sarah Harry, B.A., Grad Dip (Counselling), PACFA (Clinical), RYT
Sarah is a registered psychotherapist and author who specialises in the area of Eating Disorders and Disordered Eating. Sarah has experience in individual and group counselling and also works as a lecturer in counselling, eating disorders and body image. She is the director of www.fatyoga.com.au as well.
- There is also a third facilitator who is generally a fully trained recovered person.